Friday, August 11, 2006

Duty calls but it's really a privilege.

I got a phone call yesterday. A lady who would visit my church when she was strong enough to get out passed away. She was a precious lady. She would bring her grand-daughter with her every time she was able to come. She wanted her to experience God. Monday I'll be preaching her funeral in Pipe Creek. I think I've preached more funerals in the last year and a half than the last 5 years combined. And you know what? They're all difficult to do.

I don't know about all pastors but I know this much is true for me. Whenever I'm asked to officiate a funeral, whether for someone I knew or didn't know, I want to do my absolute best for the family and the memory of the one passed on. I mean it's a difficult time and anything I can do to make the process better, I want to do it. I take it personal and ask God to be with me. In the things I say, in the things I do. In the end, I want to make a difference in the lives of the family. Touch them with the love of God. So Monday, I'll set my heart on those worthy goals. To speak the hope of Christ and the promise of resurrection for all who sleep in him.

God bless and keep the Moore family.

No comments: