Thursday, January 18, 2007

Which is better?


I heard someone say this the other day.

"I'd rather aim low and make it than aim high and miss it."

That's been on my mind today. Is it OK to aim low? I've heard it said, "It's better to aim for the moon and miss than to never draw back the bow." I couldn't agree more. I believe in aiming high, setting high goals, dreaming big and believing big. Conversely I believe in hitting the mark as well. If I have to aim low to ensure I hit the mark, it's still an accomplishment of great success, right?

I believe one's present reality must work conjunctively with the goal. For example, if my goal is to become a Dentist then going to an auto body school doesn't get me there. My present reality isn't matching my goal. I believe we must position ourselves for success and we do that with the choices we make and the actions we take.

So what do you think about this? Would you rather aim low and make it or throw caution to the wind and aim high with a high probability of missing. Or, for you, would it depend on what the goal (target) is?

5 comments:

Ari said...

I think "dream big, live small" would be a motto I agree with.

It's great to have big dreams and work toward them but you have to make sure you don't despise the "small" and the journey in the process.

People very often are overwhelmed with "big living" and need to take it one step at a time, one small thing at a time.

Shannon said...

Dream big, live small, I like that. :0)

Shannon said...

I think for me it really has to depend on the "target" or "goal". In my church, we have certainly taken steps of faith that were way out of our reach but we took a shot and God honored our faith. I think God will always honor faith so I think we have to be certain that we're operating in it.

Marieke said...

You know, I quickly browsed your post here earlier today, but decided to take another look after you commented on my blog and wow, does this relate to where I'm at right now!

I'd say aiming high with a purpose, even if it includes a higher probability of missing, is what I'm leaning towards. I don't want to slump through life, but charge at it with abandon.

Shannon said...

Marieke,

I'm with you. I lean toward aiming high in most everything I do. Anyone who knows me personally would verify that I believe. It's scary and often times intimidating to stare uncertainty in the face. But wow, what a thrill!