Tuesday, September 26, 2006

How does one.......

Effectively relate a gospel that is difficult to wrap the brain around? Now, I know what you're thinking already. What kind of opening comment is this? How can you NOT grasp the gospel? It's so simple that even a child can understand it!

Does a child understand it or just simply receive it? In the "synoptic gospels", we find Jesus telling his disciples that if they are to receive heaven, they will do so as a little child receives.

Obviously there are even greater truths that come up to question through these statements of Jesus....but we'll save them for another time. That is one of the things I love about God's word.....the answer to one question leads to yet another question. Never stop searching....never stop wondering....never lose the awe of God's word! Suffice it to say, children of Jesus' day were not highly favored in Jewish tradition. IF they received anything of their father, it would be 100% generosity of the father, not by merit of the child.

When David's reign as King of Israel was nearing an end and King David was on his deathbed, he said to Solomon, "I am going where everyone on earth must someday go. Take courage and be a man." IKings 2:2

In the very next chapter, God has made Solomon King over Israel. But what does Solomon do? Does he receive his new assignment as a man? He tells God, "O Lord my God, now you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn't know his way around." IKings 3:7

Translation....I don't know how to wrap my brain around this!! Solomon, receives his new duties as a child. He is unsure of what it all means.

Again, I ask the question. How does one effectively relate a gospel that is difficult to wrap the brain around?

It's an understatement to say that Jesus did things and said things in His 3 1/2 years of public ministry that is difficult to understand.


For example:
Love your enemies, If you even look on a women and lust over her, you have committed adultery, If you are to be great you must become servant to all.....How did he walk on water anyway? What about feeding 5000+ on the hillside with 7 items. Five fish and two loaves of bread? I know the short answer is miracles...but I'm not satisfied with the short answer. I want to relate the deeper truth of who Jesus was then and who He is now in my life. I believe Him to be the same yesterday, today and forever!

to be continued.......

No comments: