Sunday, July 29, 2007

Alone...

Here I am alone again tonight in this old empty house...

Those are the first words to an old Alan Jackson song about going crazy after the one/s you love have left. Well, that's kind of the way I feel tonight as I write this blog. I don't want to get too mushy on you tonight but I'm missing my family terribly and they've only been gone for about 9 hours. My wife and children are with Tiff's mother and two sisters on a vacation to the beach for the next week.

It's funny, the silence you crave in moments of constant noise isn't so desirable when the noise has faded. I want to hear my children laughing or even fussing about having to brush their teeth; at this point, even that would be welcome. I want noise because noise is an indication of normalcy around our house. For the next week, it won't be normal around here. Just me and the noise I make. Yes, I may begin talking to myself just to hear some noise. :)

When they were pulling out of the driveway, my wife asked me if I was alright and like any strong man would do, I said, "Yeah, I'm fine". Honestly, it sucked watching my family leave.

So now I have a week and 1 day to find something to do with myself. Oh I'll find something to do. Actually, I have plenty to do that will keep me busy during the day, but it's the night time that gets to you, ya know?

I think the bond that we all develop as a family is Godly. I believe that God creates that bond within our hearts that when we're away from those we hold dear, it hurts. We long for their voice and their laughter but all we have until they return is the memory of those sounds. If it's true what they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", I'll be so fond of them when they get back I may never let them leave again! ;-)

5 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

I know what you mean.

Very occasionally my wife has taken the kids somewhere for a couple of days. It's usually been a very short holiday where I can't make it.

I love having the time alone to just be me but I certainly wouldn't want it to be longer than a few days and I really do miss them.

I'm glad it doesn't happen often.

Shannon said...

Rodney,

There is a part of me that enjoys the time alone but the bigger part of me, the part that usually wins out, is the part that wants them home, now! :)

Colin A. Lamm said...

The computer cut out on me the first time I tried to leave this comment, and all was lost in cyber-space. Oh, well!!

This isn't a topic we guys typically like to talk about ;). But the fact is that i relate all too well with what you express here. Fortunately such excursions for the family have been relatively few and far between. Usually it was me doing the travelling -- I didn't like that either.

I really hope and pray that your wee goes well!

Colin A. Lamm said...

By the way, that word above was supposed to be "week" (not wee). LOL!!!

Shannon said...

lol, Colin. I hope my wee goes well too. :) Your typo just gave me a laugh so we're off to a good start!

I know this isn't something us guys usually like to talk about but I felt a bit vulnerable last night so I put it out there. I thought about posting how glad I was that they are away and that I was going to really live it up in their absence but I think everyone who reads this blog who knows me at all would have read right through it. :) I'm a wimp when it comes to my family!